Re: [PyrNet-L] dominance/aggression

> On 10 May 98 at 7:46, Adrienne Wilder wrote:
> > I am not being a smart butt, but are obseving your dog's friendly
> > behavior off your own property or on it???  I don't know of any pyr
> > that will "greet" a strange dog on its (read pyr's) property..The
> > breed has been bred to be territorial and dominant on its homw terf.
> > If the dog is not showing aggression (read dominant or territorial)
> > when off the property then great...because it should not... (except
> > in some cases)
> >

> Both on and off property.  No, offense, but these dogs are only
> supposed to do what is appropriate for the situation.  They are
> supposed to process the situation out and only use aggression as a
> last resort.  That does mean not going after other dogs on their
> property when the situation doesn't warrant it.

Okay...I need to ask the question in a different sense.  Are you
observing friendly behavior when
A) you bring or some one else brings the dog onto your property
or
B) Can strange dogs simply come into your yard without your dog
"alerting" Read that charging, barking, pacing.

The Pyrenees is bred to make judgment calls, yes.  However, the breed is
naturally dog agressive (probabky because they are dominant and so are
many other breeds).  Also agression is a tricky word.  To many think the
definition of agression is a dog who attacks or bites...this is not
always the case.  A dog who barks is showing some level of aggression,
just as a dog who postures, or stands stiffly.  Now  out of control
behavior is  signifigantly different.  It is very, very acceptable for a
pyr to run a fence line and bark and growl at a strange dog that is
trying to enter the property.  If that dog is invited in...the pyr may
or may not accept the dog...but what should be graded is how well the
pyr respects the descision of the human partner.  If the human partner
decides that the strange dog is allowed the pyr should willing excpet
this (to some degree, this does not mean they might want to live
together but the dog should have some tollerence to its presence). Dog
aggression in pyrs is acceptable (if the dog can be controlled) what is
not acceptable is aggression towad humans. The breed is naturally
dominant and other dominat breeds simply do not work well.
There is a distinct difference between dominace, protection, and just
plain out agression and unless you get to veiw a dog in a working
sitution (wether on the farm or at home) it is had to learn how to
distinguish those types of behaviors.
If your dog simply allows any dog onto your proeprty with out concern
(read that no barking posturing or bodyl language)then he would probably
not be successful as a working dog (especially one who was needed to
control canine predators).  This does not mean he would not defend you
or your home with his life.
Most breeds of dogs have some level of territorial agression, they bark
and posture at strange dogs...it is the level of dominance and the
ability to calculate that tends to set the pyrenees apart.

I would like to know more about your dog...age, house pet? working
dog?...male or female... Thanks... and I am asking out of general
curiosity...

--

Adrienne Wilder  www.stc.net/~draggon/index.htm (pet portraits)
Murrayville GA