[PyrNet-L] Sam's back in harness....

Our three year old Great Pyr, Sam, has been ill for the past couple of
months.  It's been a yet undiagnosed illness involving kidneys and liver.
We've managed to stabilize him, but our vet has told us that his next
"crisis" will likely be his last.

Yesterday we attended the Great Pyrenees Club of Central Ontario - Spring
Walk.  We took all three of our pyrs.  We also brought Sam's cart and our
harnesses with the intention of giving a small talk if the interest was
there.

Sam had been feeling pretty good and was quite excited to see the cart.  We
decided to harness him up and see how he managed carting for a short period
of time.  We had been advised by the vet to let Sam determine what he was up
to doing in the way of exercise.

Once he was in harness he became his old "pulling machine" self.  He did the
entire walk (about 1.5 km) pulling our 6 year old daughter, Danica.  She
drove him, holding his leash.  Some of you will know that Sam is profoundly
deaf.  This was our first successful attempt at driving ......he has been
hesitant to strike out without a "leader" directing the way.  Yesterday, he
was more than content to head off down the path....

It was wonderful to watch our boy enjoying himself so much.  We've taken
some photos and will update our web page accordingly.

Sam slept all of the way home.....and seems to be "normal" today.

Colette

Colette & Warrick Wilson
Avignon Reg'd Kennels
Great Pyrenees & Berger des Pyrenees