Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: Chat:Behavior, pyr that bit

> > Sorry!  But the dog was provoked.  The girl who was biten was banging
on
> > the windows and doors, thus resulted in her opening the door to the
> > house without being invited.  If that is not provocation I don't what
> > is

She was invited - the 3 year old opened the door.  We can argue this
incident into the ground, and none of us may ever be exactly correct,
because we were not there to see what happened, and we were not there to
see how the dog was trained during the year he has lived with this family.
I think the point being argued now is whether the dog was provoked enough
to bite.  Consideration *has* to be given that this dog has lived with an 8
year old and 3 year old for a year now, he should know what kids are like!
And the owners should know what  he is like around kids by now!  The
banging on the window in a way can also be looked at as someone knocking on
the door - as soon as the door is opened, the dog should not bite.  Banging
on windows and doors can be normal in many households with more than one
child.  The 8 year old girl only stuck her head inside also - it sounds
like she did not even step all the way into the house!  Now, if she had
come in and (even accidentally) knocked over the 3 year old in the process,
now that is more severe provocation!

> <G> But my point is I expect my dogs not to attack (bite) no matter
> WHO I (or any family member) open the door to. Even if that person
> had been knocking on my windows and the dog was barking. If I open
> the door to someone and they're not attacking me or hurting me, I
> expect my dog not to bite them. It's irrelevent whether the person is
> 80 lbs or 300 lbs. My dogs have no business biting someone who I open
> the door to if that person isn't knocking me to the ground and
> attacking me.

I agree.  When I first started reading the biting scenario and I read that
the storm door and inside door were both opened at the same time - I
pictured the pyr dashing through the doors to go explore the neighborhood!
  Not biting the child, but escaping to go roam around a bit!  That would
be expected pyr behavior IMHO.

Patti Brunkala
menditar@grrtech.com
Oregon