Re: [PyrNet-L] RE: pyrnet-l-digest.19980707

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Elizabeth Vandermark wrote:

> format to send out a query to whomever might be out there. Dave and I
> are the proud new parents of a lovely 6-month old pyr named Monty who is
> a delight! I cheerfully admit that I am besotted but I am new to pyrs
> and am constantly amazed with their good natures.... that said, we have
> a problem that doesn't seem to be going away (which we may have made
> worse through our ignorance-we are also novice dog owners as well...).
> Monty is usually very resposive to us and seems to be well socialized-he
> LOVES people especially small ones! The one thing is that he tends to
> play rough with us (part of my frustration is wrapped up with feelings
> of guilt that we screwed up by wrasseling with him too rough). In
> anycase, he tends to do it more with me who he considers his playmate
> than with Dave who is more of an authority figure... usually it consists
> of mouthing arms, sometimes bearing down hard enough to pull us over to
> wherever he wants us to go... or nipping. We have tried ouch (in way to
> many formats-he doesn't respond to any particular tone and probably is
> just confused with the variety of responses he gets from us. We have
> tried speaking sternly-no avail.  Shouting never works-he just ignores
> you. We have him crate trained-so when he gets too excited we sometimes
> will try 'time out' in his crate but even that doesn't work all of the
> time. I have a feeling he is BORED and hyped up as a result...Dave and I
> work during the day and I am afraid that won't change anytime soon. Any
> tips? Is this normal puppy behaviour? Did we screw him up forever? Help!
> Liz and Dave and a very rambunctious Monty!

You can try a suggestion mentioned many times on the list for nipping.  As
he does that, push his flews (sides of his mouth) in a little and when he
closes his mouth, he'll end up biting himself.  Prior to that, teach him
what NO means.  Say it in an authoritative manner.  Shouting isn't
necessary to be effective.  You can be a leader without becoming a drill
sargaent.  Also, teach him a "settle." A settle is a command given when a
dog is getting a little out of hand.  It tells the dog to basically "knock
it off."  You do a settle by putting him in a down.  If you need to know
how do teach the dog to go down, let me know.  When he can do that and he
acts up again with nipping and biting, tell him no and put him in a settle
for a few seconds and praise him quietly with a "good boy."  Follow up
with basic training commands daily.

Sounds like he is teething too so you may try giving him ice cubes.  It
will numb the pain of the adult tooth coming in and may reduce the
nipping a bit.

When playing any games with the dog, the important thing to remember is
that you must have *control* of the game at all times.  You're the one
that initiates it and ends it. If rough games cause him to go overboard,
find alternate games for puppies.  For example, teach him a little puppy
recall with two people standing or kneeling several yards from each other.
Hold the puppy and let the other person on the other end call the dog
"puppy come"  and give him a lot of praise and a treat.  Then that person
holds the dog and you tell the dog to come.  The helper releases the dog
the moment you call him. Follow that with praise and a treat.  And then
repeat this a few more times and end when the puppy wants more.  Puppy can
be on a long line or off-lead in an enclosed area.  Another idea is to
have the puppy follow you in the yard as *you* run away from him (don't do
the reverse where you are chasing the puppy).  As you run, say his name in
a happy tone and tell him to come.  When he gets to you, praise him
enthusiastically and give him a treat.  Repeat a few times and end when
the pup still wants more.

Good luck and have fun.

David

"Life is a journey, not a destination."