Re: [PyrNet-L] to show or not to show

<<  We have never shown a dog before, so have very little idea of who to turn
to for an evaluation as to her show quality. >>

To evaluate Heidi to see if she is of show quality or not - I would start with
this:  1) look in the akc book or the GPCA standards for Pyrenees and see if
you can pick out faults (keep in mind all dogs have faults - to show you try
to stick to minor ones), 2) go to a show and see what is being shown, is there
any resemblence?  (keep in mind, not necessarily what is the show ring is
'show quality' but it's a start), and 3)  Find an establish breeder or handler
in your area that has been showing for a number of years and ask them if they
will evaluate your dog (Yet, another thing to keep in mind - we all have our
version of what we like and don't.  Very few people like the same dog just as
the judges don't all judge the same).

Expenses:
Vet:  The only additional vet cost that I have that I probably would not  have
is the corona and bordatella shots.  They cost me about $18/extra per dog once
a year.

Grooming:  If you already bathe, clean teeth, trim feet & nails you won't have
any additional costs on that part of grooming.  There is the expensive
whitening shampoo that many of us love and use (approx. $25-40/gallon
depending on what you use).  You will build other grooming supplies over the
years as you build number of show dogs.   Example:  a heavy duty dryer.  I
switched from the hand dryer that we use when it was more than 1 show dog
being dried in a night.

Nutrition:  That is up for grabs - you will get a number of opinions on this
one.  Some use premium foods, some use natural foods, some use supplements, on
and on.  All of this can get costly somewhat.  I personally feed a premium
food, that they eat less of than the bulk foods.  So, it ends up not a whole
lot more than feeding lower cost foods with lots of fillers.

Entries - They can vary area to area.  Ours are in the $18 to $25 range/day.
Depending on the agent and if it is a specialty, etc.

Handling - If you plan to handle Heidi yourself - you will need to take
conformation classes.  I prefer to take them from a professional handler -
there are seminars and classes usually held by the local all-breed kennel
clubs.  If you use a professional handler you will need to check their rates.
I have never used a handler - so I have no idea how much it costs.

All in all, showing, if you really get into it - is not the cheapest hobby in
the world.  Between hotel rooms, catalogs, show pictures, etc. etc.  It does
add up - my guess would be that I probably spend between $200 to $300 on an
out of town show weekend and about $60-75 a weekend on a local show including
entries, hotel, etc.  (Of course that doesn't include shopping at the stands
for Pyr goodies!)  I am also a very addicted person - but WATCHOUT you will
get hooked if you start showing.  Oh the most important cost of all - once you
finish that dog - you will want another one.....:-)

Good luck - this is just some things to think about.  Anybody else?

Lara Spears
Fayetteville, GA