Re: [PyrNet-L] pyr rescue question GENERAL

In a message dated 7/17/98 1:17:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
homegirl@mindspring.com writes:

> Does rescue in general
>  make the attempt to determine the circumstances of a bite case? Or is the
>  position simply that any bite for any reason cannot be tolerated- and the
>  pyr in question is thus labelled "aggressive"?

During the time I worked Rescue with the Ohio club, we would not assume the
liability of placing any dog that bit, regardless of circumstance.  We would
however agree to take the dog and euthanize if custody of the dog was
transferred to us.  Simply a matter of not taking any chances on a potential
lawsuit.  Also, any reputable club/rescue group that attempts to re-home a dog
that is known to have bitten surely has a responsibility to disclose this fact
to the potential new owners; thereby demonstrating foreknowledge that the dog
had shown *aggression* in the past.  Not a good position for a rescue group or
club to be in should such a dog seriously injure someone at any point after
custody of the dog had been surrendered to the club/rescue group.  Especially
if the club/group is not incorporated.  I believe then members/participants
could then be sued individually.

Kelley Hoffman
BasqueLaine
Tipp City, OH