[PyrNet-L] Re: pyrnet-l-digest Barking Question.

Hi Galaxi,

We had the same problem with barking and Cajun when we moved
last fall. Although we have more property and lots more privacy
we also have all kinds of wildlife taunting her. But she, like Teddy,
preferred being outside. I used this as the reward.

Whenever Cajun barked, I went outside to see what she was barking
at. You can see a set of neighbors through the trees, and if
it was the neighbors, I told her it was ok, they belonged there.
If it was the garbage men, or a stranger, I stood outside with
her and let her bark. When they were gone, I hushed her. If I
couldn't figure out what she was barking with, I assumed it was
wildlife or a leaf blowing in the wind. No reason to bark, so
I would call her in. I kept her inside for a random amount of
time - from 10 minutes to half an hour. Then I would ask her
if she wanted to go out. Of course she did. I would tell her
she had to be quiet. If she barked, she was called back in again.
She figured it out pretty quickly.

The problem was not with the barking. The problem was getting her
to come in when I called her. But I did some clicker training on
this and that resolved that problem.

If Teddy is like Cajun, barking is lots of fun, but staying outside
is better. And Cajun can only stay outside as long as she is quiet.

Hope this helps.

> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 13:33:00 -0400
> From: galaxi@galaxycorp.com
> Subject: Re: [PyrNet-L] Barking question
>
> I'm hoping someone has some suggestions for this because my neighbors are
> starting to complain. Teddy has a habit of barking at everything when she is
> outside. I swear she can see things to bark at that are blocks away because
> when I look I don't see anything. I tried breaking her of it by making her
> come in the house whenever she barks but I don't want to keep her in all the
> time because she loves it outside so much and actually seems healthier and
> happier now that she is outside alot.

> Galaxi

  Carol
 Carol Brescher Boyle                Improving the health of our dogs,
 carol@NaturalDogFood.com                          one meal at a time.

 Need a wholesome dog-friendly recipe? See the "Recipe of the month"
        at the our web-site http://www.naturaldogfood.com