Re: [PyrNet-L] New puppy

> three weeks later, the puppy is 10 weeks old and is doing better. Or so I
> thought.
> Today, the puppy nipped my 10 year old in the face leaving marks where she

Just want to add 2 additional proven methods for dealing with the type of
problems being discussed. The first section is a re-post of my response to
another 10-week puppy problem 2 years ago. The lady had stated that she was
about to use a "lip pinch" technique that Catherine de la Cruz had just posted
in response a problem with a 2-year old. The 2nd section is Catherine's post.

I don't want to get into the "aggressive vs. dominant" debate here. Not
appropriate with a puppy, other than to say that, while true "bad seeds"
happen, they are relatively rare. The vast majority of bite problems come
from the "normal" temperament range, with labels of "shy" or "Alpha" too often
used as excuses for poor behavior, poorly instilled bite inhibition, and/or  a
poor training relationship or skills. Catherine stated the 1st lesson in the
opening to her post quite clearly:

  " never never never let your dog use his teeth on you.  You are not one of
his littermate - you are, or ought to be GOD!
                             and GOD does not get bitten."

---------- begin 1st re-post ----------6-5-96----------------

While the "lip" thing is certainly recommended for John's dog who, at his older
age and larger size, still hasn't "got it", it is a GOD move and is too strong
for a 10 week puppy. Puppy biting and nipping is pretty normal, though a few
can be more aggressive than others. There's still time to try a more gentle
method like the one that we use with our pups.

Pups are very attracted to your hands. They smell great and fingers are
the perfect size chew toys. So, anytime pup attacks any part of your body or
clothes, sneak a those fingers down to his mouth. Pup will almost always go for
the bait. When he starts on your fingers, firmly push your finger down on the
middle of his tongue. Try it on yourself, this hurts. Do it till pup backs up
and shakes free. Pup will usually shake his head, lick his lips, and dive back
for more. Repeat the tongue push. This time, pup will think about it for a bit
before he comes back. Typically, he'll come back with his mouth open, but as he
gets to your hand, he'll sniff & lick it instead. Praise him lavishly and show
him to his chew toy. And while pup is still small, the entire family can do
this.

This is all to be done in a very CALM, even disinterested way. If you don't
even look at him, he will never even associate YOU as the cause of his
discomfort. It's HIS choice that ends badly. You're not punishing him. On a
young pup, no yelling or even "no's" are needed. He doesn't need to learn how
to make YOU pay attention to HIM with his TEETH. Add the "no's" if he
doesn't figure it out after a few weeks. The only message he
should get is that a bad thing happens when he uses his teeth on you and that a
good thing happens when he uses his tongue. This is teaching & learning. You
don't/can't TRAIN a pup this age.

It's a very rare pup that doesn't "get" this and I've found that a pup that is
allowed to make this decision  for itself, to-bite-or-not-to-bite, is infinitely
more trustworthy, for the rest of it's life, than one that had to be coerced to
it. Even though I may have corrected a dog for getting into the kitchen trash
several times and he hasn't done it for a year, I'm not willing bet my child's
welfare that he won't ever do it again.

Dave Simon

----------- begin 2st re-post from Catherine de la Cruz----------
<snip>
Here's how to enforce that.

When he puts his mouth on your body, put your whole hand over the top of his
muzzle; with your thumb on one side and the fingers on the other, roll his upper
lip under his teeth, so when he bites down he is biting himself.  As you pinch
his lips against his teeth tell him "Out!"  I use that word rather than "no"
because people can get pretty wimpy about nooooo?  and you  want a single, sharp
command that means "quit that right now!"  Do the lip roll very firmly; you want
him to know that putting his mouth on a human means instant pain for him.

In a 'pack', he would only play this way with equals.  His mother and pack
leader would not tolerate that kind of play.  They would grab him, roll him
over, and scare the pee out of him.  You needn't be that rough - yet.  Don't
roll, shake or slap him - you have allowed behavior that is inappropriate and
you have to re-teach him and the quickest method is cause and effect.  Let us
know how he progresses.

- Catherine