Re: [PyrNet-L] new nippy puppy

> Time and time again I've heard tales of dogs that get worse when the
> owner tries to us alpha rolls or staring down a Pyr. They seem to take
> that as a challenge.  We tell puppy buyers to stay away from obedience
> classes that use these methods.  A gentle method of calming a pup is to
> stand stradling the pup and gently hold and pat his chest.

I'm in full agreement, when one goes back and looks in the old Mary
Crane books, in the sections on training, it gives gentle methods for
training puppies and I have found that even the tough customers respond
better and faster to gentle. I will be the first to admit that a severly
unruly or agressive adult may not respond to this but, a puppy usually
does.

Lisa