Re: [PyrNet-L] new nippy puppy

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Charlotte & Jack Perry wrote:

> Time and time again I've heard tales of dogs that get worse when the
> owner tries to us alpha rolls or staring down a Pyr. They seem to take
> that as a challenge.  We tell puppy buyers to stay away from obedience
> classes that use these methods.  A gentle method of calming a pup is to
> stand stradling the pup and gently hold and pat his chest.

One thing that worked for us with Paddington was to hold him as Gerry
suggested, place our chin on top of his head, and speak to him calmly in
a low voice, often while gently rubbing or patting his chest. Fortunately
we had a very perceptive trainer who'd come up with all kinds of
suggestions if something wasn't working.
Also, thanks to all those breeders who are taking such care with
assessing the best match between puppy and buyer. Our breeder made it
clear that she was attempting to do just this. We were asked to take
Paddington because we had some experience with the breed and she knew
from our conversations that we would do whatever it took to raise him as
a reliable companion. We agreed, knowing that we were going to have to
give him some extra time and even more consistent attention than we'd
give any puppy...and also knowing that we could call our breeder any time
for advice.
Ann W>