RE: [PyrNet-L] thoughts on training

<<sigh>> Hi Kathy,

>  If this is Lucy's first class, you should not be working on the
> "down" command yet (according to our trainer - Sherry).
	[>]  Perhaps just a little confusion here,  the "step-on-leash"
is not a command.  There are no words/signals anything.  We are
instructed to ignore the animal while doing this.  While the intent is
certainly to place your dog in the down position.  (interesting point
here, I wonder how "down" will be taught later??).  The point of the
excercise is to teach submission.  i.e. keep your dog quiet and by your
side.  The instruction is to keep your dog on a leash at all times, even
in the house, so that you can do this procedure whenever it's needed.
It's a control thing.  To get your dog used to being submissive to you,
under all circumstances.  I guess it's equivalent to a "settle".  This
is what's causing me grief.  I certainly agree you need control over
your animal under all circumstances.  Perhaps I'm being too soft
thinking forcing them to the floor with my shoe (on the leash) for no
apparent reason is mean.  But that's what obedience is for, to teach
your dog to do what you want, not what the dog necessarily wants.
<<sigh>><<again>>

> Trust me on this, Deanna.  Having Lucy is going to be like having a
> two year old for a while.
	[>]  AHHHHHHH!!!!! (Deanna is childless by choice, though knew
this was coming!!)

> Sherry does not believe in any form of hitting/screaming at dog.  That
> is why we chose her.  She also maintains that it is not usually
> necessary to put the dog in a lot of discomfort while training.
	[>]  In light of the above paragraph, this "step-on-leash" is
not training, well, it is training.  But it's not used during
excercises.  They want it to be used in the beginning of class, to
"settle" your pup down, while introduction and verbal instruction is
given each week.  Again a "control" excercise.

> Just some thoughts for you to ponder.....I'm certainly no expert & am
> learning on a daily basis.....I wish you all good luck & hope she gets
> all "A's".  Then you can get a bumper sticker on your car that reads
> "I have a Great Pyrenees on the Honor Roll at ............"

	Cool! then I'll match my neighbors Mini-van!! (for humor's sake
I'll inform you we are purchasing a new full size truck this
week.........for the dog.  It was one of our puppy purchase criteria
we've been saving for, first was the actual money for the pup, then the
fence, then all the vet bills anticipated......well, we threw in a new
vehicle also.)<grin>

> Take care & keep us updated......this is great fun!!!!
	[>]  FYI, we were started with "watch", "sit", and "come" our
first night.....It makes it all worth it when you see them do it right!!
(at this point I'm sure it's not on purpose, yet!!)

	[>]  Thanks!!