RE: [PyrNet-L] thoughts on training

Is Lucy showing dominance characteristics? Our trainer had us do
"down-stays" quickly going up to 30 minutes at a time when Paddington was
very young, because of his dominance traits, but she didn't recommend it
for less dominant dogs. And even with Paddington, we were instructed to
use very gentle methods, sitting alongside him at first while insisting
that he lie down, releasing after we'd got just a very short period of
non-resistance, then gradually increasing length of time and distance from
him. We're doing the same thing with Ivy Rose, less  because of dominance
than to allow us peaceful mealtimes without frequent nudges to be petted!
With both pyrs, I've found the "foot on the leash" to lead only to a
digging in of the heels....or butt!
Ann W