[PyrNet-L] Re: Heidi

Kathy,

I've always been told six months is the standard age to spay/neuter.
The veterinary office I worked at some years ago would not spay/neuter
before this age, and kind of frowned on the "let them have one heat
cycle" theory.  Breast and uterine cancer being of some concern in
females.  I must admit I'm foggy on the reasoning, but it made good
sense back then so I'm sticking with it!

I was actually asked at Lucy's first appointment if we'd like to have
her spayed.  I guess the pet population problem has become so bad, that
many veterinarians are trying to make a difference by spaying/neutering
puppies at 8 weeks <gulp!>.  It is now mandatory for any humane society
puppy (in my area) to be sterilized before adoption.  I was shocked.
Sadly, I suppose it's better for them.  Just a short interjection on the
spay/neuter topic!