Re: [PyrNet-L] Worry-wort

Murden, Deanna wrote:

> Joe,
>
> Good advice.  Yes, I inquired about the hip history before chosing this
> breeder.  The mom's pedigree was very good, two generations back.  She
> was sent out of state to be bred, and the breeder did not have a copy of
> the stud pedigree, yet.  I took her word for it there were no problems
> there, based on the care she took of her four adult pyr's, GPCA
> membership etc.
> Hence, now my hint of doubt.

If you have a full pedigree, you can check the OFA database by searching
using the name of the dog. It can be time consuming but it can be done.
One must also remember that even the most careful breeders can have a
hip problem crop up now and again. I personally, cannot check my full
pedigree on my puppies because some parts of their pedigree go back
before hips were checked routinely but, what I can check is clear. I
also belive that GPCA membership does not always assure one of quality
bred puppies - I cite 2 examples:

1. I know of a person that bred quality Pyr puppies for over 10 years
before they ever joined GPCA.

2. I know of a breeders that belong to GPCA who's breeding practices
leave me wondering why anyone would want a puppy from them(don't ask for
names, I don't give them out)

Lisa