Re: [PyrNet-L] Help with crating problem

Hi Ken!

Couple of questions. What kind of crate are you using? What size? What size
is she? Are there chew toys in there that she likes? Have you tried crating
her, as Kathy suggests, with you and/or your wife in the room with her? Can
you think of any bad experiences she might have had, crated, when you and
your wife were not there? (e.g. thunderstorms, etc.)

I believe that if you believe she is going to injure herself, etc. she
should not be crated and only (possibly) gradually re-introduced to crating
over a very long period of time. Crating in itself isn't cruel- if done
right. But her response sounds pretty serious.

And I trust you know when she's really upset from just being playful and
wanting to get out and play.

Two hours isn't a whole lot. But you do need other solutions- either a pen
(as someone recommended) or can you put aside a bathroom or other room that
can be gated and puppy-proofed from which she can see you or your wife?

Never use the crate as punishment. If she is terrified or deeply upset, do
not force her into the crate or force her to stay in the crate. If she does
get into the crate with chew toys, treats, and praise, see how she does if
you play the radio or tv for her. Try crating her in small increments- with
lots of praise, treats, or play afterward. If she does consistently well at
10 minutes a few times a day, increase to 15 minutes. In the mean time, use
the pen or gated area for when you must go out and she must be alone. Be
sure the gate isn't something she can jump or escape yet.

I happen to use a Fisher-Price one that is quite sturdy. When I'm on my
computer, Mukki can see me through the gate (though I also can leave it open
when he's less excited). He can jump with his paws resting on the top of it-
but he can't get out yet (he's nearly 6 mo.s). If I hear him chewing on the
gate, I just correct him and give him something else to chew. He used to
whine when we left him in his crate. So we had to learn the difference
between a whine of "Poop/Pee Outside NOW!" and "Don't leave" or "I'm
lonely". The first, I listen to- and fast. The latter, I mostly ignored
except for a brisk, calm, quick "Bye! Be good!"- and he doesn't do it as
much.

Please keep us posted. How does she handle sit/stay? or down/stay? (even for
short periods... e.g. 5 seconds!)

Christina