[PyrNet-L] Re: pyr connections

Hi Patti

You are quite right, this wolf was tame, she was used to dogs - had been
police trained - she was docile and non-agressive, so the pyrs did not
react, which is what I tried to say in my letter, that the pyrs do not
react to the smell or look alone.

Beverly

As I started to say in my first letter, I cannot talk for all pyrs. But of
the pyrs present that day one bitch had close relations working as lgd's in
the States, on her mother side  she was just a few generations off the
pyrenean mountains, some of the other dogs were her sons. I see nothing in
the breeding of these dogs to suggest that they should not have the true
pyrenean character.

I know many people who work with their dogs like to knock shows and show
breeding, but I think it is not always fair. When it comes to some of the
more extreeme breed being made unable to funktion, because of fads, I
agree, but this is not the case with the pyrenees.
An inheritated trait is not neccesarily lost, just because it is not used,
but is carried on to the next generation. The very fact that you have
pyrenees in the states that are good lgds should be a proof of that. After
all most of the working pyrenees in the states, if not all of them, have
many generations of dogs bred as show/pet if not immediately behind them,
then certainly further back in their pedigrees.
Think about how many years the breed was established in the States, before
some people began using them as lgds. And yet most of those first dogs
tried out must have done the job - despite maybe 30 years or more of only
show/pet breeding behind them - otherwise I sure the idea of using the pyrs
as lgds would soon have died a natural death.
And I know many people both on this list and the other pyrlist can tell of
pyrenees where some members the family are effective lgds other are
succesful showdogs. It does not need to be contradictionary. And I still
believe that hating a wolf on sight or smell is not neccesary to become a
good guardian.

Lene Nielsen
sandybear@intercity.dk