Re: [PyrNet-L] hip dysplasia

>>>I have a 15 month old pyr that I had x-rayed at 7-8 months of age, his prelim report came back borderline with a request to resubmit at a later date. The reason for the borderline was mild to moderate subluxation of his left hip. The right hip was fine. I am an australian shepherd breeder and this is my first pyr, so I was wondering how common of a problem subluxation is in pyrs? And should I be concerned about his future hip status? Or will maturity take care of some of the problem? <<<<

That's the exact same circumstances I have with my Newfie pup. He was
x-rayed just recently, he's 6 months old. That's the same words I was
told also, same hip, everything. I x-rayed all my Pyrs at this age
also (6 mo) when they were neutered and their hips are fine, looked
fine, no sign of any subluxation whatsoever. Pyrs have much better
hips (as a rule) than Newfie's do. But so MANY dogs have a bit of a
hip problem but you never know it as they never become clinical. You
may never notice a problem at all. His leg muscles may comphensate,
as in with most dogs. I'd get him on some sort of glucosamine for his
joints to slow the damage as much as possible.
I'm certainly glad you're not going to breed him. Pyrs are estimated
to have a 10.6% incidence of hip dysplasia (that includes mild,
moderate & severe) while Newfie's have a 33% incidence and Saints
have a 48% incidence. (Wow, huh?)

Mitzi Potter
Pyrs@prodigy.net   Oklahoma City  OK
http://members.aol.com/pyrs/dogs.htm