Re: [PyrNet-L] Flock Guardian Pyr Problem

> wish we could save every dog.  We all (in Rescue) do.
>
> Just a question - do those of you declaring the rights of this dog to
> life
> actively participate in your local Rescue efforts?  Do you foster for
> indeterminate time?  Do you pay the vet bills?  The feed bills?  The
> cost of
> the trainer (this dog would require...).  Do you spend the extra time
> needed
> to rehabilitate neglected, abandoned animals....

    Hi there,    It was good to read the points you made. To answer your
questions is yes, I do. I do not have the personality to take Rescue
dogs in my home anymore than I do to train and love a seeing eye puppy
and let it go after a year or too. This would repeatedly break my heart.
There is not a pyr rescue organization here in Maine or anywhere within
a hundred of miles of me. I have checked. I do buy plenty of expensive
things that I don't need  that the proceeds of go to pyr rescue though.
<g>  There is however, a local shelter in my neighboring town. It is
called Marlees Animal Shelter, in North Berwick, ME.
    My husband's and my computer business as well as I individually do
both sponsor a cage throughout the year for a dog to live in, be feed
from to help and pay for vet bills for the duration of the time the dog
needs to be there.  They are not large enough to pay for dog
trainer's.I  also, go over to Marlees to walk and to play with the dogs
and cats before they are adopted.  I try to teach the rescue dog's what
they will let me. One little Dalmatian wouldn't learn heel if his life
had depended on it. I think he was just too excited about our walks. <g>
My husband Lee and I are sent cute little thank you cards when the dog
we sponsor gets adopted. Which, BTW, I save because it makes me happy to
look at them.  <bg>  I do this 'there', primarily because they never
kill their animals. I believe in their philosophy.
    I also, bring Jonah and Lexi to nursing homes and to playgrounds. I
do this equally for the elder people, children's and the pyrs enjoyment
as I do to try to make just a little bit of difference that my pyrs and
I might make toward the preservation of the pyrenees and all the other
gentle Giant Dog Breeds. Preservation of good will toward monster dogs.
Because it has been my life long observation, that concerning the
general public at large,  far more people accept  the presence of
miniature dog breeds and medium dog breeds. Then they do huge dogs such
as mine  I literally cannot take Jonah & Lexi out in public without
being mobbed by bystander's. They gasp at their magnificent beauty,
grace and friendliness, they ask to pat the polar bears. They make silly
comments like " is that a white Newfoundland? Or a Saint Bernard? While
Lexi is kissing a hand or giving a paw, they ask " will they bite"? You
all know the usual routines. There was a great tee shirt sold at the
Grand Nationals in Arizona this year that said it all. Remember? <VBG>
    There are also too many people that we encounter that are either
afraid of dogs or only afraid of big dogs. Some of these people  are
children and older people alike, my pyrs have been able to quell or
eradicate their fear's when we get lucky. There's a little darling
,little old lady, named Helen in a nursing home thatwe frequent the
most. She chooses to stay in her bed most of the time. The first time
she saw Lexi there was fear in her eyes. She refused to touch or be
touched by him.( Lexi, is only 2 years old and still small compared to
Jonah, my three year old mush ball.) After much time passed and  many
visit's the more she saw more of Lexi or Jonah she loosened up little by
little, time after time. Last month around Thanksgiving time, I figured
if Mohammed won't come to the pyrenees mountain, maybe the pyrenean
mountain dog should go to  Mohammed. Helen allowed me to invite Lexi up
on the bed with her. For a fashion they were one! Lexi well knew just
exactly how to bring this lady out of herself and her fear's. Lexi
sniffed, pawed gently, kissed and cuddled this old lady until Helen's
face turned child-like. What a team they were. Lexington and Helen spent
at least 10 minutes playing and loving each other. Today, it is expected
of Lexi to visit Helen's bed. In fact, Lexi's return engagement's are
requested by all at that nursing home, including the staff. Well...
there is one left there to win over. <bg>
    The other action that I've taken concerning this subject is I have
contacted Jeannie, who's post was forwarded to Pyr-Net which started all
this to begin with. I let her know that if there was anything in my
power that I could do for the dog on death row, that I would do it!
    Take good care,
    Judith, Jonah & Lexi