Re: [PyrNet-L] Flock Guardian Pyr Problem

In a message dated 12/17/98 8:07:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
innerpuppie@barkavenue.com writes:

> I was prepared...although heartbroken...to euthanize my dog if I could not
get the problem under control or erradicated...My feeling has always been that
if I could not *trust* my dog I  wouldn't have him  or pass him along into
another home (wouldn't be fair either to the dog or the new family)

Not only "unfair", but the legal accountability is enormous.  Those of us
involved in Rescue work can tell you, a dog like this must be euthanized.
There is a responsibility to the public-at-large, and the Rescue group would
be forever liable for future incidents.  Although it might never happen, if a
known aggresive animal would attack again, the Rescue efforts could legally be
terminated - permanently.  Rescue is long, hard and costly work done by
volunteers.  Thanks to casual breeders and owners, the work is never ending.
It might be a tough decision (and it is...trust me) but it has to be made.  I
wish we could save every dog.  We all (in Rescue) do.

Just a question - do those of you declaring the rights of this dog to life
actively participate in your local Rescue efforts?  Do you foster for
indeterminate time?  Do you pay the vet bills?  The feed bills?  The cost of
the trainer (this dog would require...).  Do you spend the extra time needed
to rehabilitate neglected, abandoned animals....

If not, perhaps it's time you did.  Then you might understand how hard it is
to save them all....