Re: [PyrNet-L] Chilling Out

MagEBroD@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/21/98 10:48:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> clhenke@juno.com writes:
>
> <<   Since you mentioned it all, does anyone
>  know what the true  meaning of the season is?  >>
>
>   My wreath and favorite pin and one year cards I handmade said "Jesus Is The
> Reason For The Season" !!   (Yet in all honesty Jesus was probably not born at
> what we celebrate as Christmastime. But that is when Christians have decided
> to celebrate his birth!) >snip<

If I remember right (it gets a bit more complicated than this, but these
are the highlights), Christmas was actually a pagan celebration (called
something else, but done at the winter solstice), where they burned
trees and danced and cavorted around to celebrate (hence the lights on
the tree). The christians decided to use pieces of pagan religion
incorporated into theirs to help in the conversion (less stress if there
are familair holidays!)of the pagans to christianity! So Christmas is a
mix of two entirely different religions (although, I believe it's become
almost purely a celebration of capitolism).

Hope that helps some...
Kris