Re: [PyrNet-L] Care, Behavior: agression btw male sibs

Hi Barbara Bowes, great to see you on the  list (I missed out on much of
the list over the holidays)  Anyway, just to put my 2 cents worth on the
two pups that are fighting...We were told when we got our first Pyr from
Paul Strang 30 years ago that keeping two male Pyrs together is like
trying to keep two bulls together, you just don't do it. Despite the
fact that they can be wonderful with males of small breeds, forget it
with large breed males. We have known several people who have managed to
keep males together successfully (Mitzi :)!) but it does require early
neutering, a careful eye to temperament and proper management. We have
also known a good many who have managed it for a while and then had a
problem (there is the well-known case of the long-time Pyr owner who
kept 2 males together for years and came home to find one had killed the
other).  Although I do believe that it helps to neuter the males, I
think that the most important thing is to try to avoid any fights before
they get started.  Once the fights have begun, it is probably best to
separate them.  I do think that 6 months is pretty young for fights to
start and consequently don't think the neutering will make a lot of
difference since the behavior has begun.  As hard as it may be, I'd
recommend finding a good home for one of these pups and getting a female
if you want another Pyr.
O.K. guys, I have my flame suit on.
Charlotte Perry
Virginia