Re: [PyrNet-L] CHAT: re Wolfhound

Stephanie, both Kendra and I loved your letter.  We got such a chuckle (
and a lesson ) out of it!  Honestly, I never thought about a dominant
Wolfhound.  They always seem so quiet and reserved when we have been
around them.  Like most of the hounds...couch potatoes!?  So you gave us
both something to think about.

Are you going to get a female Pyr.?  They can be Alpha enough as it is,
but if you do a male, it may be a deadly combination, even with your I.
W. being neutered.  My male and three females ( siblings ) were
neutered/spayed before they got any ideas of the other life.  I had
enough of that stuff with intact Mastiffs ( the earth shakes when those
guys fight! )  If your I. W. is that dominant, I think you may have big
problems/or more work than you would ever want, if you do a male Pyr.  As
it is, the girls don't back away from trouble, let me tell you!

I too was a tad concerned about the stories of Pyr. aggression, sullen
behavior, antisocial attitude.  I thought about the ones I knew, and then
thought about how they lived.  All of my animals have always been social.
 While each of the four siblings have their own distinct personalities,
all of these dogs are nothing if not loving affectionate, happy to meet
people and so far other dogs.  In fact my problems have been with getting
them settled enough so they do not over-whelm people.

Pyrs. do bark ( that has been my only negative feeling ).  Like the
Wolfhound, Mastiffs are not barkers, one resounding woof will suffice!
Pyrs. are very smart ( although they may choose to ignore you, they
always understand you ), and you can really see the wheels turning.  They
are very willing to make you be the stupid one, if you don't think ahead,
and I think that the smiling faces are really them laughing at us!  Their
eyesight ( like the  I.W. ) is amazing.  And  their physical ability,
flexibility, adaptability is truly amazing for their size!  They do the
burst of energy run, will not require the amount of actual running time
the I.W. needs, and will probably be quieter in general.

Your I. W. needs fencing to curtail the running.  The Pyr. needs better
fencing because they are pain in the neck wanderers that hate fences
period.  They are diggers, climbers you name it.  Not long ago we were
talking about this on the list.  I find myself becoming neurotic over the
fence thing, especially after what was said on the list!!  I am walking
around shaking, pulling, tightening, and still wonder if everyone will be
there when I come home!!  Fencing is a big consideration for these dogs!!

I hope this helps some.  They really are a fabulous breed and I love mine
more than I could ever say.  I worry and fret over them, trying to keep
them safe.  They sure add a lot to our lives.  And their sense of humor
is an absolute delight!  So, are you doing male or female, and when ?
Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]