Re: [PyrNet-L] CHAT: re Wolfhound

Cindy,

Thank you for your response/encouragement & "Hello" to Kendra.

>  <<Honestly, I never thought about a dominant Wolfhound.  They always seem
> so quiet and reserved when we have been around them.  Like most of the
> hounds...couch potatoes!?  So you gave us both something to think about.>>

He is generally quiet & reserved & a couch potato, but also stubborn and a
dominant male, at least for a wolfhound, and he's not yet quite two years
old, so he still has lots of energy.  I heard a rare comment by a breeder who
advised a few wolhound people with their rose colored glasses on, "A male
wolfhound is a male dog, not an angel."

> <<Are you going to get a female Pyr.?  They can be Alpha enough as it is,
> but if you do a male, it may be a deadly combination, even with your I.
> W. being neutered.>>

Yes, I've requested a female, and also discussed with the breeder that I am
willing to wait for the right one with a pretty mellow personality.  I
definitely wouldn't have two giant males in the house.  In fact, one of the
reasons that I got a male IW was that I hoped to get a Pyr some day, and
thought that a male Pyr might me too much for me to handle.  I am 4'11".

> <<Pyrs. do bark ( that has been my only negative feeling ).>>

I have lived with a Sheltie mix for almost 14 years, so I know what that's
like!

> <<Pyrs. are very smart ( although they may choose to ignore you, they
> always understand you ), and you can really see the wheels turning.>>

Very much like my wolfhound!

> <<Your I. W. needs fencing to curtail the running.  The Pyr. needs better
> fencing because they are pain in the neck wanderers that hate fences
> period.  They are diggers, climbers you name it...  I find myself becoming
> neurotic over the fence thing, especially after what was said on the
> list!!  I am walking
> around shaking, pulling, tightening, and still wonder if everyone will be
> there when I come home!!  Fencing is a big consideration for these dogs!!>>

Yes, Ciaran really doesn't challenge his boundaries.  I can leave him in an
x-pen without him trying to get out.  I do have an 8x26  6 foot dog run with
paving stones for a floor because my little ones dig out in addition to the
5' wooden fence around the back yard.  I've wondered if I'll need to add a
cover to keep a Pyr in. I don't leave them in the yard for any length of time
alone.  The little ones used to be escape artists.

> <<I hope this helps some.>>

Yes, thank you again.  I hope I'll be able to share Pyr stories in the near
future.

Stephanie