Re: [PyrNet-L] collars & junk

On 16 Mar 99, at 8:56, Gitano Road wrote:
> I remember when Dallas was a baby, the instructor wanted me to have a 9mo
> old pup on the 20ft long lead and walk. I was to walk and he was to heel. I
> was NOT to speak to him and if he went the other way I was to drag him. Now
> this may work for others, but when the lead gets tangled around legs and dew
> claws, there is NO way I am going to drag a screaming puppy. I walked out of
> the class and never went back.

I remember this method.  Had a trainer doing this one when I was
training Bianca as a puppy.  And this was 10 yrs ago.  I walked out
of the class and never came back.  And found another trainer.

There are a few sites to do searches for trainers or find information
to find trainers......Association of Pet Dog Trainers at
http://www.apdt.com/ and for operant conditioning/clicker trainers
at
http://www.wazoo.com/~marge/Clicker_Trainers/
Clicker_Trainers.html
and a list of places to train at
http://www.dogpatch.org/obed/obpage5.cfm and National
Association of Dog Obedience Instructors at
http://www.kimberly.uidaho.edu/nadoi/

As always buyer beware!  Articles on "How to Choose a Dog
Trainer" at http://www.inch.com/~dogs/tips.html and "Finding the
Right Trainer for You" at http://www.superdog.com/finding.htm and
"How to Pick a Good Obedience School" at
http://goodhousekeeping.com/gh/family/47baddf1.htm and "Pet
Training: Fast, Cheap or Good" at
http://www.clickandtreat.com/webart18.htm

And as to what can happen from bad training article "Recipe to
Ruin a Good Dog" at
http://www.uwsp.edu/acad/psych/dog/karlhoff.htm and
unfortunately, I've also seen more instances than I've wanted of this
happening to pyrs.

Janice, janices@jump.net
Admiral & Linsey (newfs), Bianca & Sonny (pyrs)
http://www.jump.net/~janices/
Leander, TX
Visit Old West Newfoundland Club's website at
http://www.jump.net/~janices/ownc/