[PyrNet-L] Breeding

You make plenty of sense to me Dave and I'm sure the Pyrs of yesteryear were much to be admired in your country. Many years ago I had a male Pyr of 33" at shoulder, could hardly bend over him. Today I have males of 30" at shoulder and these dogs are much sounder than the bigger dog. His head and expression was outstanding, I don't think I've had better since but I am happier today with the hip scores and the lack of "growing problems" than I was back then.Adding a couple if imports into the bloodlines, an outcrossing and back to some light line breeding means that the lovely head on the old dog is coming back again but with a bit less height and a less rapid growth rate. Someone saw his grandson of 8 recently, leapt out of their car and came rushing over to ask if this was so and so's grandson and they were correct. Last time they had seen the old dog was 15 years ago and this was one Pyr I was nostalgic about but hopefully sensible enough to realise that even though he was a wonderful dog for me then, he's not possibly what I want today with the associated problems I had when I used him at stud just once. His daughter will be 13 this year and she was(is) the epitome of elegance and lovely head but possibly just 26" at the shoulder. From her we had nice tall sound dogs over the years, 3 of them still being exhibited at 8yrs and still winning!!
Thanks Dave for your comments
Best wishes  Jan
Jan Chaplin Ariege-Roussillon Pyreneans
visit PMDC Site at http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/6339/