Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: Breeding: American vs.....

Hi Again Group,

In for a penny in for a pound, I guess.  One question, why if one doesn't
breed a French bloodline or like the look of such are they labeled as
"having no clue what is correct to begin with..."  Personally, I like an
elegant dog but just because I breed a more elegant type than some, does
that mean I am a better breeder or smarter than one of the big name kennels
that breed a heavier type.  I don't think so.  I'm not smarter than anyone.
(As anyone who knows me will happily attest.)  I think there is room in this
wonderful breed for everyone to do there own thing (ethically, of course).

There was a statement made in one post within the last day or two that went
something to the effect of "We have the soundest dogs in the world but..."
(hope I'm not misquoting someone).   I don't think we should glaze over this
fact.  It has taken decades of hard work by breeders to obtain this and it
is still a work in progress.  There is always a tendency in our society to
look back and be nostalgic about what occured years ago but like I said
before I personally like my Mini-van and have no wish to start to drive a
Model-T just because they were thought to be the perfect car in the past.
At the same time if you want to drive one, good for you and more power to
you.

I just don't believe that it is right for someone to say that the type that
they like is better just because it is similar to pictures of dogs from old
European bloodlines.  I wonder how well some of these dogs moved and how
structurely sound they were and what did the dogs look like that didn't make
the pictures.

Finally, although some judges obviously attract a different style of dog
based on what they have put up in the past, to imply that 90% of the dogs at
the National were not quality Pyrs is simply wrong in my opinion.  I too
attended the National in Chicago and a large number of specialties in
various parts of North America and I for one was proud to be in the ring
with both some of the dogs and some of the people.  I consider myself very
lucky to have a long time American breeder (who would probably qualify as
one who the previous posts would refer to as breeding too small and
definitely not French type) who has and is taking the time to try to impart
to me (not an easy task) and other younger breeders their knowledge and
wisdom .  I still maintain that if you open your eyes and your mind that
there are far too many great dogs out there that you will dismissing if you
ignore them just because they are not tall or fine featured enough.

Whew, babbled enough.  Hope I made some sort of sense.

Take Care everyone,
Doug Hustins,
Acroyar Great Pyrenees