Re: [PyrNet-L] size and Tornado

According to several vets that I have talked to, the main advantage to
catching the female for spaying before the first heat is that it gives
you a much better chance of eliminating the risks of certain types of
cancer.  Basically, we've been told if you're going to do it, do it
right at 6 months, before the first heat to greatly increase the health
benefits of spaying.

My husband and I have been following this discussion on size with
interest.  We were very pleased with the overall appearance of our
puppies parents and are certainly hoping she favors them as an adult.
However, we have recently seen some very poor looking (in our opinion)
pyrs.  They were just way too large.  It was not a matter of size, so
much as proportion.  These animals should look majestic, not like they
can't make it around the block!  I believe the overall look that I
prefer to see is one of balance.  You can have a fat 80 pound dog as
easily as you can have a fat 140 pound dog, so it's not so much a matter
of weight as it is of balance and proportion and we are striving for
that look, no matter her overall weight.  Time will tell what we end up
with, of course!  Right now, she is gorgeous at 4 1/2 months old!

Kris