Re: [PyrNet-L] size

I have really enjoyed the thread on the French National and subsequently
size, but unfortunately work has kept me too busy to get into the
conversation.  I was particularly interested in Joe's comments that
smaller size is in the US genes.....having purposely linebred a litter
for taller dogs only to have gotten 9 pups shorter (so far at 10 mos)
than their parents.

A long-time breeder told us 30 years ago that the bitches do not grow
after they come into season.  So far, that has been true with all our
dogs i.e. if one sister comes in season at 8 months and another at 11
months the latter is usually taller and bigger.  Most of our bitches
come in season around 13 months but we had one at 6 months (probably our
shortest) and one at 16 months (one of our tallest).  Our pet contract
specifies that puppies must be spayed/neutered by 6 months of age )so
the bitches will not have come into season and the males have not
developed those unfortunate habits (lifting their legs on furniture and
other habits).  We have a number of friends who neuter pups as early as
8 weeks. This really depends on whether you have a Vet who is
comfortable with the procedure. Early neutering seems to be much easier
on the pup.  So far, all studies seem to indicate that pups who are
neutered early grow more slowly but actually end up slightly taller.  I
am not sure about mass.
We usually think that our bitches will be pretty well full grown by a
year and the males by 18 months but both will continue to fill out.

We were really impressed with the large size and mass of dogs in England
when we were there for the Pyrnean Mountain Dog Club World Conference.
I wonder if those dogs take longer to mature. It sounds like Jan's dogs
in NZ do.

By the way, although we would all like to see bigger Pyrs in the US I do
think that they are larger than they were 30 years ago.  I think that
most breeders are trying to breed larger dogs in the US but they also
want to maintain soundness, temperament and type.

Charlotte
Virginia