Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: rescue dogs

EandUnge:  Almost a year ago my husband and I adopted Princess (full Pyr) and
Rocky (probably 3/4 Pyr) with the help of Janet and Martha (super rescue
ladies).  We already had two cats, but no kids.  Princess sort of ignored the
cats as being unworthy of her attention.  Rocky was terribly curious and followed
both cats all around the house.  Our little Abby was completely secure and just
let him sniff and went about her usual activities.  Spike, a little more
insecure, would huff and hiss, but still let Rocky sniff him.  After a week of
everyone figuring out that the others were there to stay, no more than the
occasional hiss was heard.

I could not possibly ask for better or more loving companions than these two
wonderful dogs.  I can't remember what life was like without them.  They go
everywhere with us.  When we go down to visit my in-laws, they come along.  My
mother-in-law loves dogs and has come to adore our Pyrs.  I've never caught her
sneaking them treats, but I know she does it.  They simply worship her.  She
gives super belly rubs.  Since we got them, they have never spent a night away
from us, and that's the way we like it.  When Jim has to go away on business, he
knows I'm safe, and I sleep just fine, usually with at least one dog on the bed.

I love these two more than I can say.  They are our babies and our companions and
we take the very best care of them we can.  I'd do anything for them.  We brought
a six month old kitten from a shelter into the house four months ago, and they
loved it!  That kitten crawled all over Rocky, and Princess even let him walk
over her paws, and she is usually far too protective of her dignity to allow
close encounters of that sort!

We've already decided that all our future Pyrs will be rescues.  We like the idea
of taking in animals that need homes and getting them to love and trust us and
making them part of our family.  Jim and I are very grateful that Janet and
Martha hooked us up with our two fuzzy monsters, and a third is not out of the
question.  We're thinking, we're thinking.

OK, that's my .02.

Pam Luttrell in Virginia