Re: [PyrNet-L] Dwarfs

Well Joe, with possible carriers in the numbers we are talking about,
and breeders declaring "It's not in my bloodline", I seriously doubt
it! At least not without a genetic marker. Part of the problem is that
when someone finds out they have a carrier others start pointing
fingers and getting nasty about it. It's really a shame as we must all
work together to eradicate it. Chances are, if we keep ignoring it,
the problem will get worse as it did in Mals. I had a bitch who's
grandmother was Annie Moose. Beautiful bitch, moved great, had what I
needed as far as bone and coat. I decided not to breed her as I
thought the chances were too great that she might be a carrier. I sure
hope they can come up with some way of testing for this. I've heard
the test breeding discussions but have a question. I have heard many
different numbers on the amount of pups that have to be produced
during these test breedings in order to clear a bitch. Numbers from as
low as 3 to as many as 18. Anyone have any ideas on how many really
need to be produced? Also, as there are at least 2 different types of
dwarfism would we not need to clear them of both types?

Barb Bowes, NJ down at the shore!
Bo, Molly, Chelsea & Flopsy the Pyr Shep
bamb@monmouth.com