[PyrNet-L] RE: electronic fencing

	I also am new to Pyranees.  I have a 9 week old bitch (although I
have helped a friend raise hers up to 15 months old), but I am an old hand
at escape artists.  My Samoyed could climb most chain link fences.  The
first problem I see with the electronic fence is that it works from both
directions.  Once out, they get beeped/shocked when trying to come back in.

	My solution was an electric fence.  Now, don't get riled, it is
really quite humane.  To begin with, it is visible. . . all the time. . .
even when it is off.  It will not hurt them.  (take that back, having
touched it a few times myself - it hurts like mad, but will not cause tissue
damage.)  And they very quickly learn to leave it alone.

	Don't bother with the "doggy" fences.  My sammy didn't lift his leg
on it, but he had no respect for it at all.  I called the vet (Dr. Wolf) and
she laughed and said, "No, no, no.  Snowball doesn't qualify as 'dogs and
small animals'.  You need a regular stock charger."  Even that wouldn't faze
him if he could duck his head and take the wire on his mane.  (You can grab
a hot wire with leather gloves, and there simply was too much hair for any
contact at all.)  It took about an hour for him to learn.  He would touch it
and get bit, fall back and bark at it a couple minutes, touch it and get bit
again, and bark some more.  This taught him that it would bite him every
time.  Then he tried a couple of different places, and this taught him that
it would bite him everywhere he touched it.  That was the end of it.  (other
than fine tuning the height of the lower wire to keep him from digging his
way under it.)  After about two weeks, the charger was seldom turned on, and
it kept him in the yard and out of danger (and me from having to pay any
more tickets).

	My new pup is La Belle des Montagne d'Amarillo (Belle of the
Amarillo Mountains) and rules the house (except for the cats) already.  Good
luck to us both.

	Jack Mowery
	And Belle, and Saavik, and Ragged and Sugarcube

	hi laura

	i just  wanted to say hi to everyone  as  i am also a new pyr
owner.  dont
	 no  much about  electronic fencing  but  a  six  foot high  wire
fence
	works  really well   LOL.

	congrats to all of  u  who  rescued that  pyr  cross. what  a  great
thing
	to do.

	talk to u all soon
	maryellen