Re: [PyrNet-L] Question:

I took Maggie to obedience training a few years ago.  She did fine...but  MAKE SURE the trainer is NOT too forceful!!!!  The assisitant we had was and after one particular session (the assistant only taught the one session) Maggie shut down on me and wouldn't do ANYTHING!!  In fact she was so depressed she ate a pair of my shorts in retaliation.  That was the end of THAT assistant.  They are not fast moving and will do things for you in their own time.  You cannot force them.  So if the Trainer is not familiar with Pyrs find one who is.  Maggie did not need the training, but my daughter-in-law had a yellow Lab that REALLY needed some training and she didn't want to go alone.  She asked me to go and I just figured it wouldn't hurt anything.  I just had the one incident and learned QUICKLY not to always do what they tell you to do.  Thank God I didn't listen and FORCE Maggie to do the exercise!!!!  I believe it was the "recall" thing.   Just be careful is all I can tell you.  Oh, Maggie was a Rescue girl too.    Jane Gill is excellent on this subject and maybe she'll read this and give you VERY good info on it.  I don't know her address on here, but I'm sure someone will be able to give you good hints.       Joy (Maggie's Mom)
----- Original Message -----
From: Tony Leopold
To: pyrnet-l@gamerz.net
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 1999 1:11 PM
Subject: [PyrNet-L] Question:

I have a question I hope some of you can give me some insight on:

I'm considering having Kane (my rescue dog) trained/taken to obedience classes. Has anyone here done that with their Pyre and if so, how did it work out?

The thing that worries me is that some trainers might use the dominance flip on Kane, and since he is a little weary of people anyway, that might be too much for him.