Re: [PyrNet-L] Question:

On 17 Jun 99, at 12:27, Tony Leopold wrote:

> I'm going to be tacky and respond to me own post b/c I feel that I should
> clarify that I realize, as a breed, Pyreness aren't the best or easiest
> dogs to train or take to obedience classes. But I'm sure some, if not
> many, have done it and I'm curious as to how it worked out.

Three of mine started dog obedience classes as puppies, at 4.5 - 5
months of age. The other a rescue of about 2 years started classes
after I got her.  All of them absolutely loved it, seemed so smart,
when actually they were really wanting to please me. I swear my first
pyr Mishka would watch the instructor demonstrate and then say to
herself, " I can do that" and she'd do it with very little prompting
on my part.  My boy has his CGC, my puppy is working on hers.

These pyrs are extremely smart.  Observe your pyr when you start
class, I can bet he will be one of the few dogs actually watching
what goes on in the class.  Most of the other dogs are gazing at
butterflies and bees.  Because of this pyrs can become bored easily,
especially if the class is repetitious.  So try and make it fun and
varied for your pyr once he has learned the commands.< The basics
should be fun too, with lots of praise>. I have done several things
that my boy just loves.  One is the long down in the center of a
circle with the entire class heeling around him.  I have also worked
two of my older dogs in tandem, doing all the basic obedience
commands.  They had more fun than I did. I do have a bit more free
reign, as I assist with the basic dog obedience classes here.

Variation and a light happy voice really keeps them on their toes.
Pyrs love to work and when they are doing something new, they usually
get a sparkle in their eye.  My rescue does everything in slow
motion, the recall is a scream and I'm sure she does it on purpose,
as the entire class laughs at her. She also loves to clown and act
silly, which I let her do, if she has obeyed my command. After all
she is my special one.

You have received lots of good advice on how to evaluate trainers and
their approaches to training and obedience.  I personally advise
taking your dog to obedience classes.  You will both have fun and
it's a great way to bond with your new boy.

As far as the dominance roll, I personally would not use it with a
pyr.  There are better ways to control your dog.  For an excellent
article on being alpha and how to obtain that status, go to:

http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/alpha.htm
Enjoy!

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com