Re: [PyrNet-L] Need advice:

On 22 Jun 99, at 13:03, Tony Leopold wrote:

> We put him in his crate at night and he cries and barks for 1/2 hour, then
> stops. Then 1 hour later he starts again....I think....hmmm.....wonder if
> he needs to go outside? But I don't want to go look at him b/c then he'll
> think he can cry and bark, then I'll come everytime.
>
> So eventually I go in to look at him and he's made a #2 everywhere! So I
> take him out, he does not go, and we clean up the crate, but the blanket
> over the front, and he sleeps all night till about 5:30 he barks, so I
> take him outside to pee, then he goes back in for another hour.

Tony, If I remember correctly your boy is about 5 months old with no
socialization.  Treat him as if he was a 2 month old just leaving the
litter.  Small puppies need to build bladder control.  I would be
sure to feed him the brand dog food he was getting at the shelter and
gradually change over to the brand you are going to use. Sounds like
this baby is extremely stressed and the food may be upsetting his
system.

Treat him like a small puppy.  When he is in the house supervise him
at all times and  take him out every 15 minutes.  Give your command
for him to go, pee, poop, whatever you are going to use. When he
does, lots of praise.  When he is crated, the minute he stops
yowling, let him out and immediately outside, then praise when he
goes. The crate is a good thing, so treats when he goes in.  If he is
yowling don't let him out, but the minute he stops, then it is okay.
Take him out immediately after eating and right before you go to bed,
 you should be prepared to get up at least once during the night. You
wake him and take him out.  Don't wait, young dogs being house
trained usually need to go.  This should only last for about a week.
Sounds like besides being unsocialized this litter may have been
allowed to live in their own waste.  It's unusual that a dog, even a
pup messes in the place they are sleeping.

If you have a secure fenced yard, make sure he is outside and gets
lots of exercise.

If he continues to mess in the house, do not correct him unless you
catch him actually going, usually a loud no will stop them, then take
him out immediately, give your *go command and then praise in a
really happy voice.  If you find a mess in the house, complain loudly
to the mess while you are cleaning it up. Become an academy award
nominee.
One of mine left a nice package in the front room on the throw rug
and since I did not know who did it, I made a big deal out of the
mess and having to clean it up.  They were all standing and watching
me and wondering....but no one snitched on the other either <vbg>.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico