Re: [PyrNet-L] Need advice:

Judith wrote:
He will probably be happier at night in the bedroom and you will hear
him if he starts to stir.  During the day he will be happier being
closer to where the family activity is, unless he is outside most of
the time

Have to agree with this.  Dogs are pack animals by nature and we humans
(particularly for an 'only dog' ) become their 'pack'.  Naturally they are
going to be much more comfortable and happier being around us as much as
they can.  Having them in the bedroom in the crate at night is great. They
can hear/see you, and you can hear/see them.  you can know if they are
stirring and can investigate/take them out to do their stuff.

Once the dog is reliable inside, you can then, if you want, start the
process of teaching him to sleep in the room without the crate.  Not really
such a hard thing if you take it step by step.  My three sleep quite
peacefully in the bedroom, and where they sleep pretty much reflects the
household pack structure!  Cookie the Dally in on the end of the bed (top
dog sleeps closest to me), Milou as the middle ranking usually sleeps on the
couch (nice big room!), while Halley is usually found on her big fluffy mat
in the corner.  Sometimes, however, if something is 'not quite right'
outside (like fireworks on the recent Queens Birthday holiday), I can end up
with all three of them on the bed with me! (Something I don't really mind in
winter - ever hear of a 'three dog night'? :-D)

Oh, just a tip.  It is not a good idea to let a new dog/pup up on the bed at
least until the ground rules have been set and you have established yourself
as the top ranking pack member.  This can take a few weeks or a few months
depending on the dog.  Some more dominant dogs who like to test you often
should probably not be allowed on the bed at all.  The important thing
though is to teach the dog to get 'off' the bed, 'off' the couch etc (and
reward them/praise them for doing so), and, at least in the beginning, to
only get up on the bed when invited up.  In my household we are very polite.
When I say 'excuse me', the dogs know to get up from where they are and
vacate that spot for me, whether it be the bed, the couch, or a spot on the
floor where I need to walk, such as a doorway or the hall :-D

Tracy Bassett
espinay@dynamite.com.au
Canberra, Australia