Re: [PyrNet-L] Obedience school?

<< I have been calling around to get info- and it looks like it is divided as
to whether or not it is food training.  So I am asking all you wonderful
knowledgeable people.... which is the better way to go?>>

Right now I am working with a wonderful trainer. I have been pleased with all
of her methods and am going to enter her 2 year program to become a trainer
myself. (probably after college <BG>) The food thing is a tricky one. Every
trainer has their own methods, and I guess not every owner will agree with
every trainer. Treats are a wonderful motivation, and should be used as a
reward. BUT... you don't want your pup to react to a command only when they
want a treat. The trainer I am working with uses treats alot with the younger
puppies, and some with the older dogs as well. With my pup, she will get some
treats throughout the lesson, and definantly after the lesson. But I never
give a treat with EVERY command. I don't want her to depend on treats. This
seems to work very well. Personally, I think the treats are rewarding, and
confidence builders at the same time. I am also learning some of the
Tellington Touch for Canines. It worked wonderfully on my horses to build
trust and confidence. I think it will be a wonderful training aid as well.

<<One of them also said something else that was of interest... not to use the
pup's name in *bad* situations, for instance, one of them said that Sam
should be on the move when I use his name- walking, come Sam,----not use it
in negative situations or when correcting him, because it confuses him.   I
have been doing *Sam, come- Sam, sit*.... and I do say *Sam, NO* and he
responds equally to me. (Doesn't always stop what is NO.......:)>>

I practice this. However it has been known to take some patience on my part.
(like when my brittany, Tanner chewed up my brand new chair! <g>) I use my
dog's names with commands. ex. "Tanner, SIT. Tanner, COME. It is hard, and I
am not perfect, but I try not to use NO, and the dogs name together. I never
associate their names with a corrective tone of voice. I do make eye contact
and make sure they understand the situation. If ever for some reason I needed
my dog to come, I wouldn't want him to fear coming to me. It has worked with
my dogs..

<<and I am having a tough time today with the poop training... it's
thundering and lightening like crazy!  He isn't afraid of it....yet.... and I
don't really want him to become afraid.>>

Keep at it, he will get it eventually. I have one who was afraid of the
thunder. With a little coaxing and reassurance, he eventually came out of it.

<<And one other side note here... you know about what an airhead the breeder
was/is..... I just found out also in addition to the genetic stuff, lack of
shots, etc, that it is illegal to sell, trade or buy a puppy, kitten or any
animal under 8 weeks of age!  Again, I had no clue........ and Sam just
turned 8 weeks yesterday and we've had him for 2 weeks....... doesn't take a
rocket scientist to do the math!  And 3 pups went before Sam did.....  man,
the things I am finding out!>>

Doesn't sound like a responsible breeder. Did they claim to belong to any Pyr
Clubs or organizations? I am sure they would be interested to hear about it.
You have to be careful when purchasing a pup.

Good luck with your training!

Melissa