Re: [PyrNet-L] Kane update part 4--Barking - stopping?

<< The only reservation we had about
 getting a Pyr was the barking reputation and we decided we just had to
 have her anyway and would deal with the barking issue if it came up.

With our pyrs, especially Kes, we were concerned about the uncontrolled
barking.  Our trainer suggested using the spray bottle technique, and we've
used this extensively on Kes.  If she sees something, and starts to bark, we
go to see what it is.  If we feel that it warrents being barked at, we praise
her, and let her bark.  However, if it is something that doesn't present a
"danger", we'll tell her "Quiet".  At this point, if she doesn't stop, the
spray bottle comes out.  This distracts her for a moment, but with her, it's
not very effective I'm afraid.  Usually, we resort to putting her in the
crate until she settles down.

Regards, Robyn - with the wet livingroom window.