Re: [PyrNet-L] spine transitional vertebra

<< I am wondering how this "spinal confusion" shows itself in a Pyr?  What
were the
 symptoms that led you to the vet and then to this diagnosis? >>

Actually, Kes looks fine and generally moves like our other pyrs.  The only
reason we found out about this "confusion" (I like that term) was we had her
hips x-rayed.  When the OFA evaluated the x-rays, they noticed this situation
in the spine.  According to their vet (I believe the man's name is Dr. Keller
- it was the vet whose name is printed on the OFA certificate), this was
something that they noticed, and although it has nothing to do with the
evaluation of the hips, they referenced it just to make us (or any owner)
aware that such a situation existed.  When taking Kes out for walks with any
of our other prys, we have noticed that her hind feet don't move quite as
straight as our other dogs.  But whether this is do to the spine, we don't
know.  Believe me - when there's something outside the fence to bark at, she
can get to the fence faster than any other dog we have :-)

I fully understand your frustration and feelings of concern for Bear.
Tanuki, our youngest male, and by far the largest of our pyrs, started out
with what appeared to be all types of "problems".  Most of them were do to
his size and growth rate.  We are still monitoring things like skin and coat
condition (which does seem to improve with age).  Whether we will want to
breed him - that's another consideration.  Right now we just have to give him
plenty of time to mature and decide what he wants to do with his life.  I
think you're doing the best thing - consulting different vets, trying to get
as much information as you can on the condition, and in the meantime making
Bear as comfortable as possible - even if this means keeping him confined
more than usual.  I would also say - Take Your Time - surgery may be the
answer, but then again it may not.

BTW - you mentioned seeing an ortho....have you considered accupressure or
accupuncture?  I know with horses, accupressure is becoming quite accepted
for many ailments.

Take care - lots of hugs - Robyn