Re: [PyrNet-L] Bitiing

Merrilie,
Sounds like you are really having a time with mouthy Sam.  Reminds me of our very first Pyr puppy that we got at 5 weeks of age some 30 years ago.  I was sure his problem was the fact that he didn't have his mother to discipline him. He thought our kids were chew toys.  Tracy is right....you have to keep at it.  I thought our pup would never learn, but in the end he would not touch anything with his mouth and it took me two years to teach him to pick up a dumbbell.  Some people have good luck with taking the pup by the hair next to his face and shaking while growling at him (something like the mother would do).  I have good luck with a loud "ah-ah" whenever my pups start to do something I don't like (seems to get their attention better than no).  Another method when pups want to bite at hands is to place your hand across the top of their mussle and roll their top lip into their mouth so that they bite their own lips when they bite.  One method of calming a rambunctious puppy which works well for me is to straddle the puppy and hold it in a sitting position while gently patting it on the chest.  This puts you in a dominant position and at the same time calms the pup down.  Good luck, this too will pass.  Let us know how it goes.
Charlotte

Merrilie wrote:

Sam is 2 1/2 mos....... and at the rate he's going, will be lucky to see 3 mos! (JUST KIDDING!)  He continually bites my knees, legs, feet when I am walking--- and does this when he is on the leash as well.  I know he is playing, and wants to play... I have tried just standing still until it passes, but the minute I start moving, he's right there--- and those pupy teeth are SHARP! Then I stop, ignore him, he goes away, comes right back the minute I move. I have tried to distract him with toys, anything. I finally flicked his nose with my finger- said NO in a stern voice--- he looked at me and stopped--- only to start in about 10 mins later!  I have told him to sit, no help.  We are working on STAY, but so far, have gotten no where with that...... he is STUBBORN! Potty training is going better---as his bladder gets bigger.  Any suggestions for this biting- short of filing his puppy teeth so they aren't so sharp??????????? Haha.. works on the claws..:)Merrilie