[PyrNet-L] HEALTH, CARE: Need Nutritional Help for Clondike

Clondike is the 11 3/4 year-old Pyr bitch who has been undergoing
chemotherapy for lymphoma for 13 months.  She is in remission, but having
the odd bout of diarrhea, probably because of what the chemo has done to
her GI tract.

This is easily controlled by medication, but we are trying to find a
nutritional approach.  The oncologist recommended Eukaneuba low residue
Intestinal Diet.  Unfortunately it's main ingredient is chicken and
Clondike is poultry intolerant, getting diarrhea whenever given even a
little chicken or turkey.

Our vet examined the contents of Intestinal Diet and found that the main
active ingredient is Fructooligosaccharides (FOS).  She thinks she
remembers reading of a supplement that contains FOS, but couldn't dredge
up the reference.  Does anyone know of a source of FOS not involving a
poultry base?

BTW our vet hasn't had much luck with the Eukaneuba product for normal
chronic diarrhea, but then Clondike's case is somewhat unusual.   We'd
like to at least try this FOS stuff if it is available.  Any experiences
with the Intestinal Diet in Pyrs would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

 David Kintsfather              | PHONE:       (610) 683-4497
 Dept. of Telecommunications    | FAX:         (610) 683-4659
 Kutztown University            | INTERNET:    kintsfat@kutztown.edu
 PO Box 730                     |   "We need not think alike to love alike."
 Kutztown, PA  19530-0730       |                Francis David