[PyrNet-L] Re: Bitches cycling patterns

I have a bitch in season at the moment, and have often had them in season at this time of the year. For the last 10 years I have had either 2 or 3 intacts bitches, but they have never really come in heat together. All of them has been in heat twice a year, usually very regularly,  the first mother/daughter  combination with no more than 5 to 5½ month between, the present mother/daughter combination with heats six month apart. So for years there has been a bitch in heat every 2 - 3 month. I live in Denmark, Europe, where the climate is rather mild, summer nice but usaully not too hot, and winters not too cold.

As for light I believe it is the coming of light that helps start the season. It seems reasonable since puppies of wild canines are born in the spring, many wild canines are in heat only once a year. And I have  heard of at least one breeders whose dogs - not pyrs - allthough having two seasons a year are fertile only in their spring season. Here in Denmark I know farmers sometimes during winter leave light on in the night to help cows  getting in heat.

At the moment I have Farise in season, she is 11 month so I consider it a natural time to start, especially since her mother had her first season at the exact same age. And talking about season I had been meaning to write about Farise, but just did not get round to it. This is a strange season, because Farise in not bleeding at all.
I have heard about "quiet season", which particularly young bitches might have, but have never tried. Has any of you tried this. In every other aspect her season is just like any other I have seen, her vulva is swollen, the male is very interested and she is starting to flag her tail a bit.  I would like some input, if you have, because I am a bit worried about it, as the only time I have seen something like this was with Izoure, whose last seasons was also without blood and she had pyometra. On the ohter hand she was old and therefore more at risk for pyometra.
Any input is welcome.

Lene Nielsen