Re: [PyrNet-L] bitches cycling patterns?

In a message dated 9/2/99 11:42:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dneal@scan.missouri.org writes:

> When Patti and Crisi  where at my house they both came in every six months.
>  What happened when they moved to your house, that changed that?

Hi Delores!

Don't exactly know what the difference is, guess that's another reason for me
to be curious as to other peoples' experiences.<G>  I really suspect it has
at least something to do with pack dynamics, and also something to do with
the effect/amount of light (I know this has been studied and written about,
but can't find a reference/citation handy.)  As I recall, according to the
"light theory", subtle differences such as amount of time spent indoors vs
outdoors, amount of exposure to "artificial" light as opposed to sunlight,
etc., can all have an impact.

Additionally, I've heard similar experiences from other breeders (regarding
change in cycling patterns) in cases where mature bitches have a change of
locale and living arrangements. Actually, Patti in my experience was pretty
darned close to being a 6 mos cycler until sometime between age 5 and 6, and
then she started having slightly longer intervals between cycles, but still
well within the normal range. Crisi had a longer interval between cycles in
my experience, at least 7-8 mos in between, but again, an older bitch.
Neither seemed to have any fertility problems, both whelped litters here. I'm
sure I've read that it is quite normal for the interval between bitches
cycles to get longer with age.  Other than that, I'd have to surmise the pack
dynamics and where they "fit in" was perhaps different here than it was there.

> In 30 years we have only had two that came in season
> off the six month. And those two never had a pup.  the maltese
> never want six months and they had no effect on the Pyrs.

According to most books I've read that address this subject, cycles longer
than 6 mos (within reason) are quite normal, cycles shorter than 6 mos are
more likely to be indicative of a repro problem.  Can't answer as to why your
Pyrs didn't seem to react to the Maltese's cycling pattern, but I can tell
you that here, Rosemary rules the roost as regards pack dynamics between the
bitches so maybe that makes a difference. <VBG>

As I look back on things, I'd have to say that historically, when my bitches
are young and first start cycling, they are more apt to cycle close to every
6-7 months, but that as they age and mature, the interval seems to get a
little longer between cycles.  I don't consider cycling less often than every
six months to be a sign of repro problems (necessarily -- can be in some
instances depending on other factors.) There haven't been any indications of
thyroid dysfunction with my girls, and actually I generally test thyroid on
maiden bitches before they are bred for the first time, generally between
ages 2-4 yrs, and haven't yet had one come back anything other than within
the normal range.  On the other hand, never really had a reason to repeat the
thyroid levels on any of them as they aged because it never seemed warranted
to me -- haven't seen any of the common symptoms of thyroid dysfunction such
as weight gain or loss, poor haircoat, etc.

Kelley Hoffman
kshoffman@aol.com