Re: [PyrNet-L] Zeke is safe with us.....

In a message dated 9/21/99 1:25:14 PM EST, jsmiller@newmex.com writes:

<<  I find that when I insist she behave, she is
 more consistently a better behaved dog >>

And less likely to become a rescue.  At our last dog training class, there
was a Chesapeake retriever, that the present owner had rescued it from a
vet's office, where the previous owner had left it to be put down.  Seems it
had some rather unpleasant habits.  During the one class, we saw one of these
habits.  When the owner gave the sit command, the dog wouldn't sit.  When the
owner went to press down on the hind quarters, the dog immediately went for
the owner!  Seems it wanted to be the alpha dog.  Our trainer then worked
with this dog and the owner on this behavior.  Over the next several weeks,
there was a definite improvement in the dogs attitude, but the owner still
had to take extra precautions.  It would be a long row to hoe, but because of
the owner's compassion for the dog, there was hope.

BTW - this dog did seem to hold a grudge.  Thank heavens our pyrs don't!
Robyn