[PyrNet-L] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.19990919

Wow, there must be something innate with owning Pyr's that the owners
automatically and nearly subconsciously begin seeing the terry cloth towel
as a decorative cover for anything nearby! (I currently have at least one
in each room, usually with a backup nearby as well -=)

I just let Beowulf and Kyle out in the yard off leash this past weekend
together for the first time. (GRIN) Beowulf didnt know what to do with a
dog his size! His most recent "Best Friend" other than a cat was my
mother's Teacup poodle. (Rat Dog, as I lovingly refer to it)

After about 45 minutes of romping chest thumping and tackle, I too learned
the joy of wiping slobber from the coats of both of my fuzzy beasts.

They did marvelously together, not one grunt growl or snarl. Simply had fun
mouthing each other and shoulder-butting. I was surprised that Kyle did in
fact show some submissive posturing which I had quietly hoped for. (Tail at
half mast, head lowered looking up into the muzzle of beowulf, and of
course the ever so friendly roll over and look at my tummy) I also
attribute this to his being a puppy still.

It sure was nice to see nearly 225 lbs of fuzz romping around the yard
finally =)_

As for the neutering, I am not against it at all, however I intend to try
my darnednest to allow Kyle to keep his intactness unless there is a major
problem with figuring out who is the alpha between the dogs. (if this
weekend was any kind of indicator there is some hope =)

If anyone is interested in seeing a rather wide angle shot of Kyle (in his
pen) and Beowulf  (on his run) you can check out my website... I just
loaded some pics up this past weekend. www.mindspring.com/~belthasar

Thanks for the heads up on the wandering, I think I got that pretty much
contained. Beowulf is very much a high jumper and has a serious case of der
wanderlust. (He can fairly easily clear a 6' fence with a minimal running
start and a paw up.) I've lost him numerous times as he is also a Whodini
and has figured out how to escape from many of my well thought out
containments =) But of course, If I begin looking around where kids are,
there he is giving pony rides!

Also thanks for the credit on having two of these fuzzy beasts in my house.
I am seriously considering collecting the shed material and getting
sweaters made =)

As far as the Kyle-Stats:

To the eye he looks well squared and muscular, with his rump being slightly
higher than the shoulder but that may simply be the cowlick he has back
there in his fur =-)

To the hand he feels quite solid, not squishy and fat type solid but firm
and powerful solid. Decent amount of meat (trim) on the ribs and no belly
sag at all =\)

He seems to be in good physical shape, as he easily can romp for about 45
minutes (as above) and keep up with the Mal who is definitely high strung
and very much into playing HARD. Both wore out at about the same time... it
was rather funny watching them both go "No you quit first"

As far as the previous feeding, they were feeding him pro plan puppy i
think, and as I understand it they were feeding him twice daily about the
same amounts I am now. (found this out since I initially wrote here)

I however have switched his food over to Diamond Puppy, and will probably
switch again to diamond Adult after this bag is up. (switched gradually of
course so as to not cause upset puppy tummy)

Done with the ramblin'

---->>>

Neil, Welcome, hope you will enjoy the list!

Drool...yup...but at least they are not as bad as some breeds!  You do
have to keep a towel handy.  I get more annoyed with mine goobering each
other up , than catching the drips.  I find myself having towels on the
end tables ( real decorative accents! ), so I always have something
handy.  In my case the male is worse than the girls, most of the time.

I give you credit to do a Mal. and a Pyr. in your home.  And a "Boo-Hiss"
to your friend who thinks it is ok to dump dogs, using children as an
excuse.  You may want to have him neutered too, like your Mal. for
greater peace , and peace of mind.  So far it sounds like they are doing
well, but he is not mature yet.  You should have two good looking dogs
there, and I am sure will be very proud of them.  Mals. are so good
natured, I am sure it helps.  The dog body heat alone should cut your
utility bills in the winter. <vbg>!

How does he look to your eye and hand, weight & rib feel wise.  How tall
is he currently?  How were they feeding him before?  Once he is more
mature, I think it is fine to free feed, as long as you watch his weight
and structure.

I will leave the AKC to the others.  Now that everything can be done by
computer, they can tell you more.  I only have E-Mail.  But AKC certainly
will be able to get you the info. even if you had to do snail-mail.  Just
so much better now with the computer.

Enjoy your new boy, this is a wonderful breed, I can't say enough, and
I've only had my four for 16 mo.  You do know to be careful about fencing
( they like to wander ), and they do bark!  But they have so much love to
give, smiles, winks, and....the Pyr. paw!
Enjoy, and again, welcome!  :-)  Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas