Re: [PyrNet-L] Aggressive behavior.

Vivi, he is at an age where he is trying himself out for his place in the
pack.  Your daughters are too young to gain control over him at this
stage by themselves.  You are also going to cause  brooding resentment
problem by tossing him out the door in my opinion, and it will serve no
purpose since it doesn't change things.  Jealousy is a bigger problem.

Others have suggested in the past that folks have the children feed them,
brush them, etc. ( under your supervision ), so he learns what he gets
from them, and respects them.  I fully agree with this idea.  In the mean
time, when he growls, and certainly when he bites at them you and/or your
husband must react fast.  A lot of the members are not fond of the grab
and throw on the back method.  I am a firm believer in this.  Grab him by
the neck, take him down and flip him over shaking his scruff, growl at
him.  Please use common sense, the object is not to break his back or his
spirit, just to show him  his place in the pack.  In his favor, he does
not appear to be attempting to hurt the girls, beyond controlling ,
correcting,  them.  Think about how dogs react to their pups, and other
dogs, and this should guide you.  Dogs some times break skin because
their teeth are tougher than human hide, the same action on another dog
wouldn't even mark them.  Dogs goof up too, and very often you will see
that they know it, after it is done.  Pyrs. have had to be leaders and
think for themselves in order to protect.  You just have to learn to
direct this better.  One day he may be the one that saves your girls
lives, so he is worth the investment.

Are you doing obedience work with him?  Getting him out so that his world
is larger?  Have the girls close when you do, so he will think of his
good times as being part of them.  I think it is good that your daughter
is not afraid, she has the right attitude.  But for a while, you must
supervise them closely.  Did she do anything that he might have perceived
differently?  Also, is he neutered?  There would really be no reason to
have an intact male as a family pet around young children.

For safety sake I would have him checked at the Vet., maybe he has a
problem?  Also checking in with a qualified obedience handler.  I think
it is age, and family control, and if you work with him you can get him
over it.  By the way, how does he react in general when rolled over on
his back for tummy rubs?  Is he comfortable with it?

Supervise them when they are together, don't toss him and exclude him,
neuter, obedience, and direct his attention outward.  There are some
great books for this type of thing , and you will hear a lot more ideas
from others.  Good luck!   Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas