Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.19991002

<< I had a very good friend who was having some serious problems as he aged
 (he died at 64 yrs of age a few years back) The doctors has put him on
 prednisone for a lengthy time to relieve the symptoms of emphysema. A
 drawback of this medication was that he used it for too long and caused his
 bones to become brittle and gave him liver and kidney problems. >>

My father had been on prednisone for many years (at least 10) for asthma.
Being a steroid, it caused all sorts of problems for him.  When he died last
year, it wasn't because of the operation he had had - it was because his
kidneys and other organs had been so damaged from the long use of prednisone,
his body just shut down.

When our vet recommended putting one of our pyrs on it for his scratching,
the first thing I asked was - how soon can we get him off it.  Our vet felt
that it was better for him to be on prednisone and to be comfortable, than to
be scratching all the time.  Hummm, I still wasn't convinced.  Fortunately
for us, it was only a short term "fix" - it relieved the sympton while the
cause of the scratching could be fully analysied.

Robyn