[PyrNet-L] food and dry skin

my name is jaime and i do not have a purebred pyr, but a four year olf
pyrenees/labrador mix. as far as i can tell she is a lot more pyr than lab.
 we have had sequoia for one month, but she is four years old, used to
belong to a friend of mine.  she is a wonderful dog.

she was eating kibbles and bits when we got her, mostly because that was
all her former mommy's budget could afford (part of the reason why we got
sequoia.) I went to the local pet store with $$ signs on my head and told
them i wanted the "best" dog food for my 100 lb. 4 year old. they
recommended California Naturals lamb meal, rice, sunflower oil. it was $31
for a 36 pound bag and the dog LOVES it.  i think it is agreeing with her
well, but i am concerned she has dry skin.  today she is going to get a
therapeutic tea tree oil treatment at the groomers to see if it helps. the
groomer said that she can tell she has dry skin b/c of the way she smells.
i don't think she smells **all** that bad, i mena, she is a DOG... :)

how do you know if your dog has dry skin...?