Re: [PyrNet-L] food and dry skin

On 1 Nov 99, at 8:59, Jaime Stathis wrote:

> they
> recommended California Naturals lamb meal, rice, sunflower oil. it was $31
> for a 36 pound bag and the dog LOVES it.  i think it is agreeing with her
> well, but i am concerned she has dry skin.  today she is going to get a
> therapeutic tea tree oil treatment at the groomers to see if it helps. the
> groomer said that she can tell she has dry skin b/c of the way she smells.
> i don't think she smells **all** that bad, i mena, she is a DOG... :)

Switching food can take a month or more to see results, either
positive or negative.  If she has dry skin you should see signs of
white flakes, check the belly area.  If it's another problem, you may
see red irritated areas.  It's not normal for dogs to have an odor.
Could the odor be coming from the ears?  Skin conditions are usually
caused from what goes into the dog.  External remedies will not help
much unless you find the source of the problem. If she truly has a
skin condition I would take her to the vet for exam and scrapings to
test for mange or some other condition.  You may find that with a
good diet with no artificial preservatives or dye and regular
grooming, this will take care of itself.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico