Re: [PyrNet-L] Ivermectin

In a message dated 11/01/1999 6:31:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
clhenke@juno.com writes:

<< The Vet. has
 assured me that there is a several month carry over protecting the dogs.
 Does any one know this to not be the case?  Cindy. >>

Okay...I am only a tech student.....I am not a vet....but I will pass on to
you how heartworm meds have been explained to me......So this is not a
clinical explanation....I will try to pass this on as best I can.....Here
goes.....

Heartworm meds kill the microfilaria (heartworm larvae) in the blood. It does
not affect those larvae after they are a certain age, thus, they become
adults and miagrate to the heart. Now, it is my understanding that the
heartworm pill you give in November takes care of any heartworm infection
that might have been picked up in October. What I was told is that you have
approximately a week long window where you are safe if you forget to give the
meds. After infection, it an take 30 days and up to several months for the
dog to test positive for microfilaria.

Some heartworm preventative can cause serious or fatal health problems if
given to a heartworm+ dog. Heartgard is safe to use in Heartworm+ animals. If
a dog is +, it will sterilize the Adult Female Heartworms, and also take care
of the Larvae. Interceptor and Sentinel can both cause problems if given to a
+ dog. The new product Revolution is safe for + dogs, but does not affect the
reproduction of the heartworms.

Hope that helped,

Melissa