[PyrNet-L] Collars

Recently on another list, there was a big discussion
> about using pinch
> collars.  Seems they are illegal in the UK, and
> several English list members
> were very critical of anyone who used these devices.
>  Well, I for one, use
> them on our males.  We were shown by our trainer how
> to fit them and how to
> use them properly.

   I have used a pinch on my also.  I'm much more
comfortable with a pinch then a choke.  The pinch
looks harsher, but I know it will only tightened down
so far and no farther so the risk of real harm is
gone.
    I've only had males, and when they get about 6
months it seems a pinch is needed to teach them for a
while.  In a flat collar, at this age they will pull
me all over the neighborhood, and walking them is
impossible.  In a choke they pull against it so hard,
I'm afraid they will damage something.  As a result we
go with the pinch.  Around 10-11 months, I've been
able to retire the pinch.
    I also use a gentle leader. This head collar works
wonders, especially for excitablity.  It is a bit
ackward though trying to lead under the chin,
especially training sits and such.
    I've never used a shock collar, and hope I never
need to but I've learned that each dog takes a
different approach.  You have to analyze the situation
and do what is best for each dog.  Ultimetly, the goal
should be to give the dog more freedom, not less.  For
example, I use the pinch because without we'd never be
able to take walks.  You might use a shock collar to
curtail barking so the dog can stay outside without
bothering neighbors.  Each situation and dog has to be
taken individually.
                    Brandy

=====
"Bluebonnets" by Julia D. Booth
Offical Flower Song of the State of Texas
Chorus:
Bluebonnets, blue lovely Bluebonnets,
More beautiful than all the rest.
Texas chose you for her flower,